Thursday 25th June 2020
Morning children and parents!
Children’s daily work (can be altered to suit your home and family life):
- Phonics (20 mins) and handwriting (15 mins)
- Other subject
Morning Prayer – Hail Mary – The Saint of our School
Hail Mary, full of Grace,
The Lord is with thee.
Blesses art thou amongst women and blessed it the fruit of thy womb Jesus.
Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners, now and at the hour of our death.
What day is it today?
What day was it yesterday?
What day is it tomorrow?
What month is it?
What date is it?
What is the weather like?
What is the season?
Time to get active!
P.E with Joe Wicks – Monday, Wednesday and Saturday at 9am live on YouTube - The Body Coach
Please note: from what I read online Joe Wicks will be taking a break and only uploading exercise videos on Monday, Wednesday and Saturday each week.
I will provide an exercise video for children below:
Practise saying the sounds everyday with your child
a b c d e f g h I j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x w z sh ng nk th ch
ay ee igh ow oo 00 ar or air ir ou oy
ire ear ure ea aw are ur ow oi ai oa ew er
a_e i_e o_e u_e
SOUND to practise today: u_e
u_e huge brute
- Practise writing words with u-e in them - for example: letter, huge, cube, use, cute, used, super, June…
- Can you think of anymore words with u_e in them?
- Sound out each word for example: c-u-t e
- Use your fingers to show how many sounds there are in a word
- Ask your child how many letters in each of the words listed above and any other words your child can think of – for example cute has 4 letters
- Ask your child how many sounds in each of the words listed above and any other words your child can think of – for example c-u-t e has 3 sounds.
Check out the following website to help with reading and phonics.
This is the RWI website - the books the children read in school and at home.
To help children learning to read at home during school closure, we are streaming phonics, reading and spelling lessons every weekday on our YouTube channel.
Each lesson is ten to fifteen minutes long and available for 24 hours.
Open the document below and practise reading simple sentences
Sound out each letter
Blend the sounds together and say the word
Read the whole sentence
- Draw and colour an angry Colour Monster.
- Which colour are you going to use?
- Draw things that might make the Colour Monster feel angry.
- What makes you feel cross? Add these things to your picture.
- Can you label your drawings?
- What can you do when you feel angry? You could take some time to think and talk to someone about how you feel.
- Listen to the story ‘In My Heart: A Book of Feelings’ by Jo Witek. Which feelings do you recognise from ‘The Colour Monster’? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87meeeysYlA
Remember to use your fingers when sounding out your words, finger space between each word and full stop at the end of the sentence.
Parents – can write tricky words and you can copy them.
This week we will be learning about subtraction.
- Star words you will need: take away, subtract, subtraction, is equal to, equation, number, object, part, whole, part-part-whole model
- Listen to the video about the part-part-whole model.
- Collect 20 objects from your home e.g. pens, toys. Put the 20 objects into the whole section. 20 is the whole.
- Choose a number between 0 -20 to take away.
- Put that many objects into the first part. How many objects are left?
- Move these objects into the second part. What is the whole?
- Count the whole (how many objects there were altogether at the start).
- How many objects are in each part? Count each part.
- You could write the numbers down. E.g. 20 objects to start. Take away 5 (first part) and 15 are left (second part).
- Say it in a full sentence e.g. “I started with 20 objects. 20 is the whole. There are 5 objects in the first part and there are 15 objects in the second part. I took away 5 objects and there are 15 objects left. 20 subtract 5 is equal to 15.”
- Repeat this for a variety of numbers.
Key questions: Can you show subtraction from 20 using a part-part-whole model? How many different numbers can you subtract from 20? Can you say the equation in a full sentence?