Friday 1st May
Today you have work to complete in English, maths and RE..
I would love to see the work you did yesterday with the Egyptian Pharaohs. Please keep sending the work in to office2@firstname.lastname@example.org
Thank you Ariana for sending a sample of your work in today.
I'll leave you with a short reflection that was sent to me by Mrs Walker Powell who I can't thank enough for keeping me and the children grounded. I hope you enjoy.
Here is a short reflection that I found interesting. Of course, we must all keep up with our school work, but there is a lot of time in the day. Time for silence can be refreshing, even revelatory...
- When people say children are going to be “behind” I say, behind what?
- Not each other. They’re all in the same boat, doing the best they can.
- What if instead of “behind” this group of children is advanced because of this?
- What if they have more empathy, they enjoy family connection, they can be more creative and entertain themselves, they love to read, and they love to express themselves in writing. What if they enjoy the simple things, like their own back garden and sitting near a window in the quiet? What if they notice the birds and the dates, the different flowers emerge, and the calming renewal of a gentle rain shower?
- What if this generation is the one to learn to cook, organise their space, do their laundry, and keep a well-run home?
- What if they learn to stretch a pound and live with less?
- What if they learn to plan shopping trips and meals at home?
- What if they learn the value of eating together as a family and finding the good to share in the small delights of everyday?
- What if they are the ones to place great value on our teachers and educational professionals, librarians, public servants and previously invisible, essentia support workers like lorry drivers grocers, cashiers, custodians, logistics and health care workers and their supporting staff, just to name a few of the millions taking care of us right now while we are sheltered?
- What if among these children, a great leader (or leaders) emerge who have the benefit of a slower pace and a simpler life, which has a fine sense of empathy and care and concern for fellow humans.
- What if he or she truly learns what matters in all this...?
Please remember children that everyone in the country is in the same position together. We will come back stronger, with more motivation and determination, skills, questions and love for one another than before.
Have a lovely weekend,