Welcome to the Year 5 class page. Here you will find out about some of the things that your child is doing in school.
Please see the below information regarding homework. The English homework set on a Friday may change if there is a class project homework which usually would be a topic or science homework.
Mathletics- Due in Wednesday
English and Maths homework (white books)- Due in Friday
English (yellow book) and Maths (green book) homework- Due in Monday
Spellings (Due in Friday)
This term we will be reading Goth Girl
English Homework-Due in 10.06.19
- First day of summer term- Monday 29th April
- Bank holiday Monday- Monday 6th May
- Army Museum trip- Wednesday 15th May
- Individual and Class Photos- Friday 17th May
- Polling day (school closed)- Thursday 23rd May
- Inset day- Friday 24th May
- Whole school photographs- Wednesday 26th June
- Summer fair- Saturday 6th July
- Attend mass- Friday 12th July
- Class Liturgy- Wednesday 17th July
- Last day of summer term- Friday 19th July
This term we will be learning all about the Shang Dynasty. The class were archaeologists and discovered some ancient artifacts!
We have been learning all about forces this term. The class measured the mass and weight of scissors, a candle stick holder, a carton of juice and an apple. They measured the mass using a Newton Meter and then measured the weight using scales.
Year 5 had a wonderful trip to the National Army Museum on Wednesday 15th May. In their topic lessons the class has been learning all about WW2, the trip was a brilliant opportunity to expand upon their existing knowledge. The class attended a brilliant ‘Body Builders’ workshop. During this workshop, the children learnt about the possibilities of prosthetic limbs for injured soldiers by getting hands-on with robotic arms. Climbing aboard a battle tank proved extremely popular, the class gained a realistic insight about what life as a solider would really be like. The children had the chance to dress up in military clothing, they even persuaded Mrs Mendelssohn and Miss Gale to dress up! This was a lot of fun! The class had a wonderful day and would recommend it thoroughly.
A few reminders:
- Bring a reading book to school each day. Children can borrow one from the class library or bring their own
- PE will be on a Tuesday and Friday this half-term. Please ensure you have the necessary school PE kit.
- Homework will be given on Monday, Wednesday and Friday each week in both maths and English or topic related work. Some homework may involve research or learning poems/facts
- Children should bring a school water bottle if they wish to hydrate outside of break times
- It may be helpful for your child to have a small diary where they can record homework activities or make a note of other important information
Please ensure your child keeps up-to-date with reading activities, so that they can participate fully with classroom activities.
Children will have arithmetic lessons when they arrive each morning, so the earlier they get in, the more time they will have to complete the tasks.
It is important that your child is confident with their times tables up to 12 x 12 so please encourage them to get as much practice as they can at home. Mathletics has lots of activities that they can use for this. www.mathletics.co.uk
This year, our class representatives are:
Jayden and Pola.
Outdoor PE will take place with the Sports Coach on Tuesday mornings.
Indoor PE with Miss Gale will take place on Friday afternoons.
Please make sure you have the correct kit with you on these days.
Please find below a link to Lexia - a spelling and reading programme.
Your log in is your first name and the first letter of your surname (eg Sarah Smith would be sarahs).
Your password is read.
Any problems or questions please ask Mrs Price in Year 6.